How to Install/Update?
jDownloads exists in different versions for Joomla 1.5.x, Joomla 2.5.x and Joomla 3.x.
|Joomla Version:||1.5||2.5.x||3.0 & 3.1||3.2+||3.9||4.0|
|Corresponding jDownloads version:||
(no longer supported)
- See system requirements for Joomla!
Installing and Updating jDownloads is very straight forward.
If you are Migrating from the jDownloads 1.9.1 series on Joomla 2.5 or the 1.9.2 series on Joomla! 3.2 or higher then please see the documents in in the Migration section. Migration is very different to Installing jDownloads or Updating on the same family.
If this is a first time installation then you might also like to look at this article as it explains the process in more detail.
Updating is the same procedure as Installing. jDownloads, like most other extensions, checks during installation to see if there is an existing version. If there is it goes into 'update' mode. If there is no existing version it enters into 'first time' mode.
Installation follows the regular Joomla! installation methods, the method below has been well tested and is recommended.
- Navigate to the Joomla Extensions Installer in your Joomla administration and select the jDownloads component package for installation.
When the installation process is complete, you will get an installation results message. If you see an error, please read the chapter about 'Troubleshooting' in this documentation. But first try the Install from directory method as outlined below.
- Download the latest jDownloads version and unpack ('unzip') all jDownloads files to your pc. Typically jDownloads unpacks into a folder called something like 'com_jdownloads_3.2.30_j32'
- Note on some servers, typically Cpanel, there is a facility to unpack on the server so in that case you can upload the zip file to the tmp folder and unpack it there.
- Using FTP to upload this directory to the /tmp directory of your Joomla installation on the server. So using the earlier example the unpacked jDownloads is in /tmp/com_jdownloads_3.2.30_j32
- Go back again to the extensions installer in the Joomla administration and use now the Install from Directory option to set the directory of your uploaded jDownloads files. Joomla! typically asks for the directory in the form /home/your-site/public_html/tmp so append the name of the directory which has just been uploaded. For example it would look something like /home/your-site/public_html/tmp/com_jdownloads_3.2.30_j32
- Click on the Install button and Joomla will install it from the given directory.
- After installation remember to delete the folder into which the update was copied, eg /tmp/com_jdownloads_3.2.30_j32
After installing continue with the initial configuration
- If you are installing either the current jD2.5 or jD 3.2 series version please read the instructions shown in the jDownloads control panel. jDownloads automatically sets the Download Permissions for the Public user group . That is every one will be able to download. These access permissions determine which user groups can make Downloads, carry out relevant administrative functions such as creating Categories and similar activities. You will need to modify the Permissions to allow uploading from the front end or to restrict who can download.
- Adjust the configuration parameters to your needs.
- Check the folder for the uploaded files. Default: YOUR_JOOMLA_ROOT/jdownloads.
- Create your download categories structure before you create a first download and upload a file.
- jDownloads needs at least one menu item to work properly. Create a menu item for jDownloads in the menu manager and pointing it to the jDownloads component. Use as Type: 'All Categories'.